This picture was posted on
Astronomy Picture of the Day on February 22, 2012. When I first looking at this
picture I knew that it was Earth but I thought much like others that the large
rock was not from Earth. It stucks out like a sore thumb and does not look like
it belongs. One can see that most of the landscape in the forefront of the
picture looks to be very flat and have a scaly appearance. This appearance is
due to mud flowing, then drying. As it dries the ground cracks and it gives it
the scaly appearance. This rock does not
look like the rest. One can however; see a path that looks like a drag mark that
fades into the background. As I looked at the caption that went along with the
picture I was surprised to find out that there was a natural and earthly
explanation for the position of the rock. It can be explained quite simply
actually. The reason the 300 kilogram rock is able to move out to its current
position is caused high winds blow the rock to its position. This would not be
able to occur in the normal environment of the Racetrack Playa. But it does occur after a rain. This allows
the high winds to push even this heavy stone across the lakebed. The rain
causes the lakebed to become slick and slippery and this coupled with the wind
are the reason for the position of this rock. This rock that moves like this is termed a sailing stone. Even though at first glance it looks like this may be a piece of space debris
it turns out to be a rock from earth that went on a slip and slide. This shows
that one has to be objective when looking at a picture and not to jump to
conclusions.
No comments:
Post a Comment